Yeah, ok, it’s a roll not a sandwich, but it is one of my favorite bits of fast food in Taiwan. This one happens to be my closest approximation of the monster sized ones I would get at this small hole in the wall on 正氣路 (ZhengQi Rd.) across from the vocational school in Taitung. 手捲 (shou juan)”hand rolls” come it lots of different fillings as any trip into a Taiwanese convenience store will show. However, the black pepper tuna filling is probably the easiest one, taking all of about 5 minutes.
- 1 can of solid white albacore tuna, drained (5 oz.)
- 1 1/2 T. of mayonnaise
- 1/2 to 1 t. of fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- pinch of salt
- cooked short grain rice, warm
- 1 sheet of nori seaweed
- In a bowl mix the tuna, mayonnaise, salt, and black pepper.
- Put it all together like you would a fat sushi roll. Serve sooner rather than later.